RE: [TenTec] Orion Question

To: <eric@k3na.org>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Orion Question
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 16:06:44 +0100
Sorry Eric, NOT a good reply.

In fact that's a good way to blow out MFJ 259's.
(been there, done that)

I also tune the linear with low power (here 15 or 20w wouldn't
matter).
I can't tune the linear, driving it from the MFJ.

Years ago I connected my MFJ 259 via an SPDT coax switch and did
just what you suggest.
The result was in a very short time the MFJ was dead.
Apparently there wasn't enough isolation in the switch.
Since then I always remove it completely from the feedline before
applying power.

What I do though, is periodically tune the matchbox on all bands
using the MFJ-259B and create a table of pre-sets.
Then I remove the MFJ and after each band change, set to the
matchbox to the table's pre-set values and then apply low power
to fine tune.  My wish is for 15w out when I press the "TUNE"
button.

Thanks anyway.

73
Rick