RE: [TenTec] Delta II and Scout

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Delta II and Scout
From: "Rick Westerman" <Rick@dj0ip.de>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 15:58:38 +0100
Alan, (and anyone else interested)

I have a full description of the Delta I (580) available in a PDF
file.
This is a scanned in copy of the original Delta I brochure.
It is nearly 1MB in size, though, but I don't mind sending it.
This radio was similar in looks to the Argosy II.  I ASSUME it is
similar in circuitry to the Argosy II. "AS BEST I RECALL" (so
that I don't get accused of making this up ;-) it has single
conversion at 6.3 MHz thus no passband tuning.  It uses an analog
VFO so no second VFO built in.

I have a short description of the Delta II (536).
This is a scanned 1-page sheet from the old TEN-TEC catalog.
This PDF file is just over 300 kB in size.
The Delta II looked exactly like the Argonaut II (535).

On big difference between the Delta II and the Scout is that the
Delta II has a general coverage receiver from 100 Hz to 30 MHz.
It uses upwards conversion with the first IF at 45 MHz, 2nd IF at
6.144 MHz and 3rd IF at 455 kHz (used for FM).  The multiple IF's
enabled it to incorporate Passband Tuning.  The frequency is
controlled by a synthesizer, thus it has two VFO's.

The Scout is single conversion (9 MHz or 6.3 MHz ? - I forgot),
has plug-in band modules, no general coverage RX and no Passband
Tuning, and only one VFO.  My GUESS is that it has 6.3 MHz
because it has a Jones filter which is probably the same as the
Delta II and Argonaut II.

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you want any of this.  I don't
have any documentation on the Scout. Would like to have some if
anybody has it scanned in (tnx).

73
Rick