Re: [TenTec] Jupiter vs 746 PRO

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Jupiter vs 746 PRO
From: ac5e@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 17:21:48 +0000
Hi Bruce: My Jupiter has always been a second rig, at first behind one of my
OMNI VI+ and since last April behind the Orion. But if lightning took the Orion
out I would not feel overly handicapped by its absence. But yes, I would
replace the O!

And I do love 75/80 and 160 Meter DXing. In my experience recievers for 80, and
160, are almost always local noise limited. That is, the noise level is far
above the reciever's ability to hear a signal. The lowest I have measured here
at 3.8 mHz is 2.2 microvolts, and most of the time the noise level is between 4
and 5 microvolts. The Jupiter is a lot better than that - but no reciever is
going to do much with an analogue signal below the local noise level.

We have compared the IC746PRO against both the Omni's and the Orion. It lost.
But we have never compared the Jupiter to a 746 of any flavor. But the Jupe's
specs are very similar to the well respected TS-930 and in 1-1 comparisons
between a 930 and a couple of 940s the Jupe dugs out signals we could not copy
on the Kenwoods.

I'd go for the Jupiter in a flash. Come to think of it - I already have.

73  Pete Allen  AC5E