Re: [TenTec] 80m antenna suggestion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 80m antenna suggestion
From: edoc <kd4e@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 14:12:40 -0500
I would agree.  Just remember, typically a larger antenna will out-perform a
smaller antenna.  Thus a full wave loop, having more wire in the air, should
out-perform a 1/2 wave dipole.
73 Bob, K4TAX

I think that one will find various results with various antennas at various heights over varying grounds for varying applications.

The only consistent factor is that we all get in trouble when we
try to state absolutes about wire antennas from location to location.

A dipole tends to be a "safe" choice, though not truly omnidirectional (only a proper vertical offers that feature). A dipole, environment permitting, offers a broad distribution of signal -- also offering little of what is sometimes called "gain" -- probably better labeled "focus".

There is a fascinating discussion on the TowerTalk list on contesting.com about Flag and Pennant wire antennas. They offer gain/focus through directionality, multiband features, and are relatively compact horizontally vs a fully stretched dipole.

A long dipole/zepp at the proper height tends to provide excellent receive sensitivity characteristics, low = NVIS for local communications, high = DX. The higher it gets, however, the broader
the pattern and thus the more signals received from more directions-- not always desirable -- and on TX one is spreading ones signal rather than focusing it on a desired target -- also not always desirable.

Folks might visit LB Cebik's site and also subscribe to the TowerTalk list as they will find highly experienced Hams who can add greatly to this discussion -- this being a TenTec-specific list we are limited in knowledge-base among TenTec folks (not a weak group, just a smaller
rig-focused vs antenna-focused one).

--
Thanks! & 73, doc kd4e
West Pasco County, FL