Re: [TenTec] Orion Aux I/O socket

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Aux I/O socket
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:17:52 -0500
> Actually I was talking about both.  I had a Jupiter with a 5 pin DIN
> cable for the SignLink interface and was wondering if I could use it
> to connect with the Orion for PSK31 use.  You are correct that audio
> can be assigned from the audio menu to either right or left and that
> I could use the five pin DIN cable from the Jupiter with the Orion.
> However, the output of pins 4 and 6 are padded in the Orion and they
> might not have sufficient output for the computer sound card after
> going through the interface (unless it has a volume control built in)
> - in which case the cable would have to be routed from the Orion
> directly to the sound card.

I don't know if the Orion is different, but I find that the 5-Pin DIN (ACCY)
on the Pegasus has too HIGH a level for my soundcard. I have to run the
mixer input slider at almost minimum and I still get some red showing up on
my waterfall display in MixW 2.12, which means overload.  I find that the
Line Out jack on the Pegasus and RX320 seems to be at the right level for
the soundcard.  I am going into the LINE IN (and not MIC IN) on my
soundcard.

I've had similar problems using other radios with fixed leve audio output. I
usually end up putting a pot across the output so I can lower the level for
the soundcard.

Mark