[TenTec] Re: 'Iambic' keying

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: 'Iambic' keying
From: "Alfred Lorona" <w6wqc@dslextreme.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 23:05:09 -0700
I do not wish to step on anybody's toes but this is a minor sore point I
would like to address.

The word 'iambic' is nowadays taken as synonymous with squeeze or dual
paddle keying. Technically, the word 'iambic' means the type of keying where
dot dash alteration is output from the keyer when both levers are closed. It
does not apply to the dual lever key mechanism or actuator.

This is because there is another type of key output that is provided by the
same dual lever mechanism. It is called 'Ultimatic' mode. This mode provides
a series of dots when the dot lever is closed and a series of dashes when
the dash lever is closed but a series of dots when the dash lever is closed
immediately followed by the dot lever closure. When the dot lever is closed
and immediately followed by the dash lever, a series of dashes is produced.
In other words, the last lever closed takes precedence when both levers
remain closed unlike the iambic mode where alternating dots and dashes are
produced.

Although not as popular as true iambic mode keying, there are a few
ultimatic mode adherents. This is probably because some letters are easier
to send ultimatic than iambic.

The key levers? Well, they are simply dual lever or dual paddle keys. But
not, strictly speaking, iambic.

Moreover, different keyers do feel different to different operators. This is
because of the so-called 'echo' effect first discribed by Chet Opal, famed
designer of automatic keyers, ( I forget his call ) way back in around 1974
or so if my memory serves me right. A close similarity of the echo effect is
provided by the difference between the A and B modes of iambic keying.

I was in the process of writing up a dual key I designed providing both
iambic and ultimatic modes and with and without echo but was sidetracked by
moving into a new QTH. Perhaps I can get back to it now.

73, AL w6wqc