Re: [TenTec] band stacking (was cooling the Orion)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] band stacking (was cooling the Orion)
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 14:18:47 -0400
Martin, I haven't been using the USER feature much, but if my understanding of them is correct, they should take care of your problem regarding settings for the different modes. On the other hand, I agree that the there should be some kind of visible indication of which BS register you're in at a specific time. Maybe labels input by the user?

73, Joe

Martin Ewing wrote:

I find the band stacking registers frustrating. Why? For my taste:

1. There should be an on-screen indication of which BS reg you have selected.
2. It should be possible to set and lock the info in the BS regs.

For each band, I would like to be able to switch between a typical CW setting (freq, mode & filters), a typical PSK setting, and a typical SSB setting, etc. (Actually, I would like the AGC settings, freq step settings, etc, to be included in the mode setup / BS regs.)

This can kinda be done now, but without locking & displaying the register setting, my setups get mixed up pretty quickly.

Switching between my normal CW, PSK, and SSB settings now is frustrating, because there is too much button-pushing and thinking required.

I bet this is not a big change to the firmware, if TT chooses to implement.

73, Martin AA6E

W4BQF penned:

Maybe this will help some (I hope!):

Push the '80' mtr button,
Enter a freq, such as 3.505; set the mode, set the DSP filter,
Push the '80' mtr button again,
Ender a freq, such as 3.530, set the mode, set the DSP filter,
Push the '80' mtr button again,
Enter a freq, such as 3.875, set the mode, set the DSP filter,
Push the '80' mtr button again,
Enter a freq, such as 3.923, set the mode, set the DSP filter,
Push the '80' mtr button again, but this time the freq, mode and DSP filter
settings will recall the 3.505 information you previously stored. Now each
time you push the '80' mtr button it will recall each of the freq, it turn,
that you had set.

However, lets say you had recalled the 3.530 freq information and you
randomly tune around and stop on, say 3.545, and then decide to go to 20
mtrs, when you finish on 20m and go back to 80mtrs, the rig will return to
the frequency it was at when you QSY'ed to 20 mtrs. In other words, the
band stacking memories are active and will not keep the four
freq/mode/filter settings permanently. When you leave a band and then come
back to it, the settings that you had when you left that original band is
what has been stored in the top band stack memory.

It's more complicated to write about than to actually use it.