Re: [TenTec] Vertical Antennas (was Radials)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Vertical Antennas (was Radials)
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:31:37 -1000
The "nulls" are not really null. In my case, the southern null points at west MS, east TX, and I work everyone who is on there in the contests. Signal strengths are equal in the "nulls", regardless of which way the array is pointed.

Very common to see comparisons of ideal phased arrays versus real phased arrays (with losses) showing that deep nulls only in the ideal and practically unacheiveable setup for 160 meters. ... Question for the experts: If you make a phased array of lossy antennas (say for instance quarter wave verticals) which all have identical charcterstics (losses are all the same) such as exact number and length of radials and equal ground characteristics, could you get deep nulls as with "perfect" antennas, but less gain, or would the nulls also be less deep?