[TenTec] agc settings

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] agc settings
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:07:31 -0400
Hi John,

        Regarding AGC settings, if you have the time and
interest, you should definitely read YT1NT's paper here:

http://www.geocities.com/va3ttn/UsingOrionRX.pdf

If not, I would simply begin with Threshold of 20 uV on the low
bands and 3 uV on the high bands.  Don't be afraid to adjust
it well above what Ten-Tec recommends in their paper below.
I would leave Hang at 0 for normal use and just adjust Decay
to whatever is comfortable (check default settings for Fast,
Medium and Slow).  For EXTREMELY weak CW signals in
white noise (not thunderstorm QRN), set Hang to 0.30 - 1.00 s
and Decay to 5 dB/s as YT1NT recommends at the bottom
of page 4 above.

http://www.tentec.com/565optimize.htm

        Setting the AGC is undoubtedly the most different
aspect to using Orion, but you will soon become familiar with it.
YT1NT's paper is the best information on this subject IMHO.

73, Bill W4ZV