[TenTec] Using a 253 Tuner in a Contest

Subject: [TenTec] Using a 253 Tuner in a Contest
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 07:50:14 -0400
I've recently picked up a 253 Autotuner that I will be adding to my station, which consists of an Omni-6 Plus and Herc II (and 301 remote encoder).

I'm curious to know how to integrate the 253 into my station for contesting purposes, where I presently use a tuner to help me 'walk' up and down specific bands (160, 80 and, to a lesser degree, 40) where the antennas are quite narrow banded. I note that the tuner demands <150 watts to tune, which makes me wonder if I have to turn the amp off each time I move up or down in frequency in a given band?

I'd appreciate comments from those of you who have experience using this otherwise impressive box in a contesting environment.

Thanks in advance,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC