Re: [TenTec] Orion and SteppIR

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion and SteppIR
From: Torrey Mitchell <torreym@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 09:45:52 -0500
Bernard,

My first question is...have you confirmed that your SteppIR box is a newer one with the mod for the Orion. Back in February I was the first person apparently to discover that the Orion and the SteppIR box would not communicate. I sent my box back to them for a month while they worked out a fix. The problem was that the SteppIR box was never designed to communicate at 57,600 baud...the only comm freq for the Orion. They came up with a new interface chip.

It finally came home to my shack after this email from Jim at Fluidmotion:
Your controller should be there soon, we included a new cable that has RTS connected which according to one source at TEN-TEC is required. Set the Controller to ORION with the BAUD= 57600. The Steppir controller will Request the frequency from the Orion once every 2 seconds or so. When the Steppir is set to General freq mode the Steppir should follow the Orion frequency.

If the Orion needs to be connected to the Computer you will need a "Y" cable that connects the Computer or Radio's Pin-2 to the Steppir Data IN Pin-2 (RXD) so it can monitor the data for the frequency information. It should also be possible to connect the Steppir Pin-2 to the Computer Pin-3 to read the set VFO command going to the Orion, this would be good for trouble shooting.

Hopefully it will just plug and go when you get your Orion back.

Jim

The last hurdle was the requirement for the cable to include an RTS connection. It has worked fine since then. You have to go through the menus on the box and select the Orion option. If you don't see it, then you don't have an updated box. I hate having to reprogram the box each time I switch between my Yaesu Mark V and the Orion, so I just use the "ham mode" for one or the other.

73's and hamming,
Torrey
N9PY