Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ firmware rev.

To: "Steve N4LQ" <n4lq@iglou.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ firmware rev.
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <mike_n4nt@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:22:34 -0400
Hi, Steve--

My post, although it must have seemed otherwise, was not directed at you.
It is not picky to note that one cannot get proper code from a rig at speeds
over 25 wpm.  I am just talking about the philosophy of rigs.

What I wanted to focus on was the seemingly insurmountable problem that more
and more complex technology is creating in the design of rigs.

A good friend attended a required continuing education seminar in pharmacy.
She reported to me that current estimates are that 95% of the medications
prescribed are to counteract effects of other medications.  One can but
wonder whether all the other 5% were indicated in the first place.

Likewise with rigs.  They are increasingly complex.  For most of us, they do
many things that we don't need done (the 5%).  The trade-off is that they
become increasingly difficult to operate and to require more complex
circuitry (the 95%) to overcome the degradation introduced by the upgrade.
An example of this is that to overcome the internal noise generated by PLL
synthesizers, we need DSP.  But to get DSP, we've got to use microprocessors
that probably generate more noise and also introduce artifacts such as you
are able to overcome by bypassing the processor.

I admit that I'm not a demanding operator, even when I have an antenna up.

I don't believe in QRP, it's inconsiderate.  Those who do and pound their
chest falsely claiming credit for being great operators are wrong.  It is
the poor stiff at the other end who is beating his brains out to copy the
inconsiderate QRP operator who gets the credit in my book.

I run power -- WATTS.  Nothing I've ever said was worth beating your brains
out to copy.

I don't try to pull out the weak ones.  Nothing they have to say is worth
beating my brains out to copy.

I don't operate in contests and haven't since I was DX.

My frequency is never locked to satellite signals.

I don't give a darn if you are 100 cycles off my frequency, or 200 -- I've
got an Offset control.

I do like my good QSK, feeling that it makes for an unobtrusive rig, one
that doesn't intrude into the conversation.

Finally, a rig is merely a means to an end.  That end is a conversation with
another ham who knows how to read and write and has the intelligence to copy
code in his head.  It is when the rig becomes the end in itself, and not
merely the means, that the trouble begins.  My rigs are a bunch of old
Ten-Tecs, any one of which is not only adequate but superb for my uses.

As you say, there is nothing wrong with ever trying to improve things, but
sometimes things are fine.  My grandfather's screwdriver bears a striking
resemblance to the latest Craftsman model.  I could have it gold plated (the
5%) but then would have to take measures to protect the plating from
scratches (95%).

73, Mike N4NT