Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ firmware rev.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ firmware rev.
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 20:07:01 -0400
> What's plug #52?
>
> > 73 Jason N1SU

>From the Ten-Tec archives...

      To:  <tentec@contesting.com>
      Subject:  [TenTec] Re: Omni VI+ QSK Thump and Click Mod
      From:  paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
      Date:  Mon, 7 Sep 1998 08:28:01 -0400

There were far too many replies to answer each one individually.

The mod consists of unplugging connector 52 on the I.F./A.F. Board.  =
That's it.  Plug 52 should have only one wire attached to it.  Those of =
you with more recent Omni Sixes should verify this as some of the =
circuit boards have been changed to SMD types.  Once connector 52 is =
unplugged, use a nylon tie-wrap to keep it safely out of harm's way.

The theory behind the change:  Plug 52 activates a 4066 CMOS quad =
bilateral switch which is configured as a sidetone wrap-around circuit.  =
The audio click and thumps one hears is generated by the CMOS chip.  =
These chips are used in the broadcast audio world and are known to cause =
the same effect when switching audio on complicated audio mixers and =
routers.

You will note after the change that you still have sidetone control and =
the ability to control its mix relative to incoming received audio =
through the front panel's "ST" button.

Use a set of headphones to listen to your QSK audio before the mod and =
make a mental note of what you're hearing.  Then, using your headphones, =
critically listen to the QSK after the mod.  There should be a marked =
difference.

Disclaimer:

This is not a Ten-Tec approved modification.  I discovered this while =
making other modifications to my Omni Six Plus.  Use care in making this =
change if you attempt to make it.

73,

-Paul, W9AC