Re: [n4pysoftware] Re: [TenTec] New to the list--Orion questions(Sweep F

To: n4pysoftware@yahoogroups.com, Carl Moreschi <n4py@earthlink.net>,tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [n4pysoftware] Re: [TenTec] New to the list--Orion questions(Sweep Function)
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 23:33:55 -0400
Carl, I was about to write you on the 6M transverter and several other topics that I've mentioned previously.

First, I had previously asked that future revisions might include a center frequency for each band in memory for the sweep. I want to add that the sweep range ought to also be included. It would also be convenient to be able to size the sweep window in a manner similar to other Windows windows and place it anywhere on the screen as DX4WIN allows. It's not a show stopper, but it sure would be nice.

As far as 6M is concerned, I am using a DEMI 50-28 transverter which has been configured using your "6 & 2 transverters window." I am using the Orion's transverter output which, according to the Orion manual, is supposed to be variable between 5 and 15 dBm with the power control in the Orion menu. All is working well, except there is no RF output unless the TX slider is at 100%, which conflicts with your direction to put it at zero, and the output power is not variable: It is either 100% or 0; there is nothing in between. I should add that I haven't tried this via the Orion directly to see if the transverter port's power output is indeed variable.

The other issue is what do I gain by using your "User Configurable transverter Window"? It's not clear.

Finally, the sweep function doesn't seem to work on 6M. I tried simultaneously engaging both the main and sub receivers on the RX antenna, but that did not help. It sounds like from your reply that it should work OK. Is there anything obvious that I might be doing wrong?

One minor point: When setting the parameters for the transverter, they are not saved unless one restarts the program. I don't believe that this is obvious from the dox.

Actually, I love having access to 6M with computer control and a state-of-the art front end. There are just minor issues that I don't understand.

73, Joe
K2XX

Carl Moreschi wrote:

What transverter are you using?  My software has full transverter
configurable.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, NC