Re: [TenTec] New to the list--Orion questions (Sweep Function)

To: Carl Moreschi <n4py@earthlink.net>, tentec@contesting.com,n4pysoftware@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New to the list--Orion questions (Sweep Function)
From: Joe Giacobello <k2xx@swva.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 11:20:50 -0400
I am using Carl's software with the Orion and I find the bandscope extremely useful, particularly on quiet bands like 30M. I never used the Orion's bandscope because it is just too coarse to be effective. OTOH, Carl's gives well defined, highly resolved peaks (in high resolution mode) and is quite sensitive to weak signals. I have found that after single clicking on a peak, only minor readjustment of the VFO is required to center a signal in the RX passband.

Typically, I only scan CW or SSB subbands so the slower scan speed of high resolution mode is adequate for my needs. I was recently demo-ing the software to another very experienced ham, and he preferred the higher speed and slightly coarser resolution. He hadn't seen it before and was quite favorably impressed. While I have relatively limited experience with bandscopes (I used to use an SM-220 with a TS-850), Carl's is the most effective because it allows immediate QSY to any desired displayed signal. It's resolution is comparable to the SM-220, if not better. I've actually stopped trolling the bands manually looking for signals and rely almost exclusively on the sweep.

I recently installed a 6M transverter on the Orion but, unfortunately, Carl's software doesn't seem to work there. (I haven't checked to see if the Orion's sweep does so.) (Carl, if your software could be configured somehow to sweep the transverter receiver that would be a real useful tool for monitoring VHF beacons for band openings. Can it be done?)

73, Joe
K2XX

Carl Moreschi wrote:

Duane,

My N4PY software does not make the band scope on the Orion any better.  In
fact, the software has no effect on it at all.  What my software has is its
own bandscope independent of the Orion hardware that allows you to mouse
click on it to instantly check signals.

Carl Moreschi N4PY
Franklinton, North Carolina
n4py@earthlink.net