Re: [TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec] Alas, not for me

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Re: [Ten-Tec] Alas, not for me
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 07:22:19 -1000
John Rippey wrote:

E. Alternatively, it's possible to modify a TS-870S by shoe-horning INRAD filters in place of the stock 2d and 3d IF filters, and this produces a radio with pretty good dynamic range.

Excuse me John, but this sounds wrong to me. The dynamic range is limited by the analog to digital converter. Narrowing the bandpass that the ADC sees does not increase it's dynamic range, although it may decrease the need for a large a dynamic range. So then what was not good enough may then become pretty good. Still the dynamic range is the same. If the little signal you are trying to copy and the big signal you want to reject are both inside the (narrower than stock) roofing filter bandwidth, your ability to separate them is still limited by the dynamic range of the ADC. Since with a narrower roofing filter you have less total power to digitize, you can get away with a smaller dynamic range a lot of the time.

DE N6KB