Re: [TenTec] Foot switch advice

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Foot switch advice
From: Duane Grotophorst <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 21:47:30 -0700 (PDT)
--- K4IA@aol.com wrote:

> The Heil is very stiff and has a long "throw."  It
> is so stiff, I don't think
> you could push it with your toes.  You are supposed
> use it backwards, that
> is, the heel is pressed down.  By the time you lift
> up your heel, you need a lot
> of clearance (6 inches or more) under the desk or
> you bump your leg on the
> bottom of the desk.  I get tired stomping on it and
> I have strong legs.

There are or have been two different types of Heil
foot switches available. The FS2 has the hinge point
under where your heel rest, so you press down with
your toes, it is actually quite comfortable to use
over long periods and is not excesively stiff, at
least to me. The older (FS1? - not even sure its still
available) switch has the hinge point on the opposite
side, just like many of the industrial switches do, so
I can believe that particular switch may not be all
that nice to use.

There is however something to be said for some of
those heavy cast iron industrial footswitches, the
ones I have (Linemaster "Clipper 63x" series) do "feel
right" to me, so if you can find such a beast it may
be worth pursuing. They aren't really any more
expensive than a Heil if you're looking in the right
places for one.

Duane
N9DG