[TenTec] Sweep display freezing on Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Sweep display freezing on Orion
From: "Eric SENSI" <eric.sensi@skynet.be>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 15:11:20 +0200
Hello you all,

I have my TT565 Orion for 24 hours now and had already some questions about
this "strange" radio.

By "strange", I mean different from what I own before (Icom, Kenwood
TS-870S, Yaesu FT-990 and FT-1000) !

Right out of the box it seems not to be an excellent radio, just have to
customize it thru the menus and parameters.

Now it's okay, I have made 2 contacts this morning with "nice" audio reports
but...

Running latest firmware #1.371

If anyone could help me about that :

1. Sweep display :
------------------

- Sweep display activated and working, I mean moving (for Main receiver
only);
- On the SUB receiver, engage either the NR or AN function and the sweep is
completely frozen (no movements at all !);
- Remove the NR or AN function and the sweep display is dancing again !

Is this a normal behavior or not ?

2. Meter and AGC :
------------------

It seems that the meter needle is electronically controled by the AGC
system... well, in the case of a static discharge at the antenna, a "POP" is
heard thru the speaker, the needle is peaking at +20dB or +40dB and the AGC
is killed during half a second or so making the reception of the signal
impossible during this short amount of time !

I never have this "problem" with my FT-1000, the AGC was not killed by the
static discharge and I could still hear the audio behind it !

Is there a way to avoid that phenomenon ? The PROG AGC values cannot be set
to resolve this...

Many thanks for support.

Eric, ON6CV

http://www.qrz.com/callsign/ON6CV