Re: TT [TenTec] Tired of Orion

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: TT [TenTec] Tired of Orion
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 00:01:48 -0400
Frank,

I hope you don't make a judgement about Ten Tec based on what you read on
this reflector. This reflector is basically a 'private' forum for discussing
Ten Tec equipment. Because some people have their own gripes about the Orion
certainly does not mean that all Ten Tec equipment is bad, nor does it mean
the Orion rig is 'bad'. Ten Tec generated its own good reputation for
producing excellent CW rigs, from the Triton forward. I have a Corsair 2,
Omni 6, Omni 6 Plus, and presently two Orions. My cold dead fingers will
have to be pryed off of my Omni 6, which I bought in 1992 and has been the
most enjoyable ham rig I have ever owned. The Orion is several magnitudes
more complex than anything Ten Tec has produced for the ham market, some of
the things it should do, presently it does not do them very well yet. I say
'yet' because I still think that eventually Ten Tec will have this radio
performing in an excellent manner.

To me, the only way one should judge a radio or a company, is by how the rig
performs on their own desk and only under the conditions that they prefer to
operate a radio.

Tom - W4BQF