Re: [TenTec] QSK with QSK-5PC

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] QSK with QSK-5PC
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:10:28 -0500
'Figure of merit' ? I don't think so. The primary purpose of an amplifier is to amplify. QSK in an amplifier is a sometimes added luxury.

I think if you would get same Ten Tec manuals and study the schematics, you would understand how the Ten Tec QSK system works. It is the amplifier that keys the transceiver and the amplifier does not key the transceiver until all of the amplifiers relays are closed. Most Ten Tec amplifier vacuum relays have a closure time spec of 6 milliseconds.

In my opinion, the Alpha 87A, which uses PIN diodes for T/R switching would have to be the quickest amplifier with QSK. The Ten Tec line of amplifiers are no slouches. Even though they are not guaranteed to run QSK over 40 wpm, my Titan 425 handled 120 wpm quite well and my Titan 3 handles up to 80 wpm quite well. As for a 'really' good high speed QSK radio, my opinion is the Corsair II and the Icom IC-781, with the Omni 6 and the Omni 6 Plus coming in a very close second.

Tom - W4BQF

----- Original Message ----- From: <al_lorona@agilent.com>