[TenTec] SDRâs, You and RFI - Real Long

To: tentec@contesting.com, orion@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] SDRâs, You and RFI - Real Long
From: N0KHQ@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:46:43 EST
I am posting this once again for those having RFI problems and believing
that it is a problem with their transceiver.

I apologize for the lengthiness.

SDRâs, You and RFI

I have spent the last three years investigating  "Special Grounding"
techniques.

What I'm going to suggest here is a look  at your entire grounding system.
I'm talking about RF, AC, Telephone, Cable TV  grounding and DC grounding.

AC Grounding:
1. All 115v power for your  HF/VHF equipment should come from one receptacle.
Failure
to do this may  lead to ground loops via the green wire that runs through out
your home.
This receptacle should not shared with other appliances in your home. The
receptacle I use is a dedicated circuit for the clothes washing machine.

2. Take a look at your electrical service panel. There is a very heavy  gauge
wire running
from the ground bus outdoors to an 8' copper grounding  rod. Hopefully this
wire is copper
and not aluminum. If it is aluminum have  it replaced with copper.

Assuming that the grounding wire is copper,  disconnect the ground wire,
clean it and
the grounding rod with a wire brush  and/or sand paper. Reconnect the wire to
the
grounding rod with a suitable  type clamp. I use a very large split-bolt.
Tape it and
make it water tight.

You will also note that the telephone people and the cable people may  have
terminated
their equipment signal ground on your AC ground. Install a  separate
grounding rod for
this equipment, tape it and make water tight.  These are special purpose
grounds and should be treated separately.

Note: The NEC is concerned with grounding for safety only. They could  care
less about RF.

This next topic is my favorite, RF Grounding. First a  little history.

My antenna, a Sterba Curtain, is directly (about 10')  over the top of my
home. On 160m, 75m and 40m I run a full 1000 watts with no  RFI or TVI. I also
use a ton of sound reinforcement equipment at my HF operating  position also.

Your station HF/VHF station should have what is call a  "single point" RF
ground. I'll explain.
Lets say that your RF chain is as  follows:

1. Transceiver
2  Amplifier
3. Antenna Tuner
4. RF Grounding Rod
Under the above conditions, there should only be one  wire going from the
grounding lug on the back of the antenna tuner out to the  grounding rod. Do
not
ground each piece of equipment to a central point and then  out to the
grounding rod. Each piece of equipment is already RF grounded through  the
inter
connecting equipment jumper coax shields. Failure to ignore the above  may
result
in ground loops.

The RF ground wire I use is a length of  RG-8. Only the center conductor is
terminated at the TT-1251 tuner. Outdoors at  my RF grounding tie point the
center conductor is shorted to the shield. this  will effectively drain any RF
the Star RF Grounding Counterpoise  System.

If your antenna is a multi-band dipole. A dipole is a  balanced antenna, if
you are feeding the dipole with unbalanced coax the shield  of your coax, and
your entire station, is acting as the other half of the  antenna system.
Installation of a 1:1 Balanced to Unbalanced Current Balun at  the antenna feed
point will stop return currents on the coax shield and  gracefully make the
transition from a balanced antenna to an unbalanced system.  If you are running
vertical antenna install a Current Balun Kit (as sold by  Polomar-Engineering)
at the feed point.

>From Radio Works, purchase  a 50ohm bal to 50ohm unbal Current Balun (B1-5K
cost $34). This device installs  at the feed point of the dipole. Also purchase
a T-4 Line Isolator, this device  installs between your rig and the
amplifier.

I recommend the following  RF chain:

1. Transceiver  (Orion, TS-950SDX, IC-756 Proll)
2.  T-4 Line Isolator (from Radio Works)
3. Amplifier (AL-80B) Donât forget to  put a toroid on the keying line.
4. Tuner (TT-238B)
5.  TT-1251(Counterpoise RF tuner from Ten-Tec)
6. Star RF Grounding system  (detailed construction drawings are available
upon request)

Note: An RF  Grounding system will help with lightning protection, but a
Grounding system for  lightning protection will help very little with RF
Grounding. Donât confuse the  two.

I have probably furnished more information than you want. But, to  address
some issues with SDRâs and unusual operations, it was necessary.

I can hear it nowââguys saying â I never had to do that with my old
rigâ
..what a bunch of BSââââ. Wellâ. welcome to the world of SDRâs.
,

Have fun

John / N0KHQ / St. Louis