Re: [TenTec] Orion on AM

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion on AM
From: nq5t@comcast.net
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:09:28 +0000
The Orion is an excellent AM exciter.  I use mine in that mode driving an
AL-1200, audio from a Symetrix 528E and EV RE-20 through the AUX input.

It automatically sets the output power to maintain 100% AM modulation with no
clipping, and in that regard makes set up very easy.  I usually tune the amp
with a CW or FM carrier to somewhere between 1000 and 1500 watts out, and then
just swtich the mode to AM.  You don't have to refiddle with the RF OUT level,
since it will automatically cut back.

Don't forget to open up the transmit audio bandwidth a bit in the SSB Menu if
the band isn't crowded :-)

Grant/NQ5T