[TenTec] RE: [Orion] Orion subreceiver

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] RE: [Orion] Orion subreceiver
From: n1eu@netscape.net (Barry N1EU)
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 05:56:54 -0500
Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>N7US wrote
> >I understand that the Orion's subreceiver is general coverage and is not
>nearly the receiver that the main receiver is for the ham bands.  What's the
>practical significance of the poorer subreceiver?
>
>         It has significantly worse IMD and BDR performance
>than the Main RX, but it depends how you use it whether
>that is important or not.  I normally use the Sub RX only
>in split operation to listen on my TX frequency (for example
>to find the stations DX is working in a pileup).  These
>signals are normally strong enough that IMD is not a big issue.

I use the subrx a large percentage of the time for stereo diversity reception
with a second antenna.  On the low bands, I'll feed the subrx with either a 2nd
Beverage antenna or the TX antenna.  I do encounter its limitations, which
manifest in hearing either "ghost" images of strong offchannel (many Khz away)
stations or its noise floor modulated by close-in (<2Khz away) strong stations.
 Otherwise it performs quite well.

73,
Barry N1EU

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.