Re: [TenTec] From Omni 5 to Jupiter?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] From Omni 5 to Jupiter?
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 18:07:35 -0800
Able2fly@aol.com wrote:

I am toying with the idea of trading in a perfectly good Omni V and replacing it with a Jupiter with antenna tuner, the reason being just to consolidate and simplify things a bit, and to try something more modern. The only problem is that I really like the Omni and it fits my operating style (casual rag-chew, occasional DX, CW for the most part) fits it to a "T". I like the analog sound and feel of the Omni. Its equipped with the 1.8 and .5 filters in the 2nd IF.

I'm asking those who have used them both, how do the Omni V and Jupiter compare? What are the tradeoffs?

Thanks, Bill K3UJ

I traded off my Jupiter with built in auto tuner for an Omni-VI Plus and external AT-11MP autotuner. To tell the truth there is absolutely nothing that I miss about the Jupiter. Just not in the same class and Ten-Tec engineers will tell you the same. It is very good for very good but less exacting performance than what the Omni series was designe for.... a casual operator's comfortable rig....what it is intended and I imagine many simply love them.

I still have a RX-350 so whenever I feel I might be on the bad side of the trade I turn it on and compare. I did ok.

If you live anywhere nearby to strong AM broadcast stations the Jupiter has real problems and you will have to add external highpass filters. If you have a lot of pulse style noise you will probably find the Jupiter's noise blanker a poor substitue to what you have (even my Scout is many times more effective). If you use your notch filter a lot you will probably find the Jupiter's auto notch lacking. If you want to pull out week ones along side very strong stations the Jupiter may frustrate you as it doesn't do well there. If NONE of these are issues to you then you will find the Jupiter a very competent and fun transceiver.

73,
Jerald, KG6TT