Re: [TenTec] yv5mbx - Orion operation issues

To: "yv5mbx" <yv5mbx@arrl.net>, <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] yv5mbx - Orion operation issues
From: "Toby Pennington" <toby423@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:36:19 -0500
Javier, I timed boot up time to be about 12 to 13 seconds from turn on of the Orion. So a full minute is excessive.

On cw, which I operate on a lot these days, I use mostly the BW encoder and find that under most conditons using the BW encoder is sufficient. I seldom if ever use the hi cut or low cut for cw operation, but on occasion have used the PBT if a station seems to be too close to my frequency. I have used hi cut and low cut on PSK, and find it helps for that mode. I would suggest that you focus on the BW adjustment since you can go down to 100hz and then if you have QRM, try the PBT next. Leave the hi cut and lo cut alone for the time being.

The background noise you are having I don't understand as my noise level is very low, except for an intermittent line noise problem. It might be good to check for the usual line noise problems or other appliances in the house which could be causing problems (ie door bell transformers, computers, monitors, touch lamps etc.)

On ssb, set your filters in auto in the menu and just leave them there for the time being. IF you have version 1.372 these filters will automatically kick in at the right BW setting. Set your BW at 2800 to 3000 hz and try that range for awhile. IF you have QRM reduce the BW to about 2400hz to 1800hz. I have gone as low as 1400hz and with a little PBT thrown in had a good copy on my signal. Be sure that in the menu you have either usb or lsb set up to receive ssb signals.

Most of the problems a new owner has are operator errors, so just play with the rig for awhile and I am sure you will figure it all out. Toby W4CAK

----- Original Message ----- From: "yv5mbx" <yv5mbx@arrl.net>