Re: [TenTec] yv5mbx - Orion operation issues

To: yv5mbx <yv5mbx@arrl.net>, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] yv5mbx - Orion operation issues
From: Martin AA6E <msembx-aa6e@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:59:51 -0800 (PST)
My Orion (v 1.372 firmware) takes about 12 seconds to come to life. It
_seems_ like a minute! In the future, maybe TT can play some music or
show some exotic DX photos while the radio boots up.

[Javier - I don't know if the following applies to you! I don't know
your background in radio.]

More seriously, there is a need for a "tutorial" that will help a new
ham (at a basic technical level) to get the most out of a high
performance rig.  The TenTec Orion manual (now being revised) will
probably never do that job.  It is more a reference manual.

[Many people will say that Orion is "too much radio" for beginners.
But is that really true, or do we need better user training material?]

Does anyone know of an existing book that explains SSB and CW tuning,
PBT, AGC, modulation, specifications, etc.?  I.e., how to intelligently
operate your new "appliance"?  Info is scattered through the Internet,
ARRL pubs, and vendors' manuals, but not in one place that I've found.

73, Martin AA6E