Re: [TenTec] Orion Warranty

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Warranty
From: Phil Howlett <w9xx@direcway.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:15:36 -0500
Son-of-a-gun!  You're right!
W9XX

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Sheeley" <wb4qda@yahoo.com>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2005 9:55 AM

Bill I know this sounds stupid but this corrected the RIT
encorder problem for my Orion and another ham
friends Orion .Take hold of the encorder nob and pull
hard on it like you are trying to pull the nob off,
then let go. Once I did that my encorder started
working again and has worrked and is still working
today . This also worked for N4ZZ's Orion. Strange but
a simple fix for us ,so I hope it works for you. It
might save you a trip to Ten-Tec

73

John WB4QDA

--- Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

W5KDJ wrote:
 >I would be sending that radio back to TT if it
were me, they say a year
warranty?  I don't own one yet but am thinking about
buying one.

Note for any considering purchase of
anything! Visa
Signature doubles manufacturer's warranties up to 1
year
as one of the benefits of the card. This was true
in the past
for Gold and Platinum cards as well, but I am not
sure about
those now. In the case of an Orion, the warranty is
one year,
so Visa doubles the warranty period to two years. The filing
process is very simple and I've used it several
times. The
most recent example was the Lithium Ion battery in
my wife's
laptop (~$150) which failed after 1.5 years. Visa's
filing
process is amazingly easy if you kept your original
invoice,
credit card receipt, etc.

         The only Orion hardware failure I've had in
18 months
seems to be an intermittent RIT encoder.  I seldom
use RIT so
I'm waiting to carry my Orion back to Ten-Tec just
before the 2
year warranty period expires in August.  I am aware
of several
hardware updates that have been done to others'
Orions sent
in for problems, so I assume Ten-Tec will implement
those as
well.  Whatever they are, they must not be too
critical since
I haven't noticed any problems other than the RIT
encoder,
and I'm still not 100% convinced that is not
actually a
firmware problem.

         I normally never buy any electronic product
within
the first year of production, but Visa's extended
warranty
combined with Ten-Tec's firmware upgrades made me
feel very
confident in violating that rule for Orion.  So far,
I have
not been at all disappointed.

73,
Bill W4ZV