Re: [TenTec] Delta II in a moble.... not recommended.

To: kq4by@rocketmail.com, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Delta II in a moble.... not recommended.
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@tomorrowsweb.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:58:54 -0800
Larry:
A few months ago I was about to do the same thing. you are currently considering. I had found a Delta II used that looked in fine condition. So I contacted Ten-Tec engineers to talk about the Delta II for mobile and they DID NOT RECOMMEND IT at all for mobile or battery use. It seems that the Delta II does not like to work on less than 13.5 vdc (or thereabouts!) It definitely won't work reliably at 12 volts or less. They recommended that I use a Scout or even a vintage Triton IV if I had the physical room. I was a bit saddened by this info as I thought the Delta II would be a great mobile for me. As verification the individual that I was going to buy from told me that they had the same problems when they tried to use the Delta II in a van which was why they were selling it..

Please note that most Delta II's suffer from a failing backlight on their main display. This is not made of descrete lamps or LEDs but a special light panel. This part has been obsolete for some time and consequently Ten-Tec can no longer provide them. A number of Delta II owners have created work arounds using other commercially available light panels. A search of Google will probably give you some background here.

Anyway, I bought a second Scout for the car.

73,

Jerry, KG6TT