RE: [TenTec] Advantages of computer control for s DX'er - N9DG's VHF+lin

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [TenTec] Advantages of computer control for s DX'er - N9DG's VHF+lineup
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:35:31 -0800 (PST)
John,

I suspect that the list reply behavior just bit you. Since
your question was public I'll provide a public description of
my VHF+ lineup.

The station consists of a small herd of Pegasi transceivers
as IF's for Down East Microwave transverters for the 50-432
MHz bands. The Pegasus radios are controlled with 4
simultaneous sessions of N4PY's software all running on a
single PC with 3 monitors. I run two N4PY sessions each on
two of the monitors and then WriteLog on the 3rd. For 50 and
144 MHz the N4PY sessions are running in dual Pegasus mode,
222 and 432 MHz are singles. When not in contesting mode I
rant on ham radio discussion boards about radio/PC
interfacing on one monitor while monitoring the bands
visually on the other two monitors. So who says PC/Internet
time needs to interfere with radio operating :).

I run separate RX/TX IF lines from the Pegs, for the RX side
I made the mod that Carl describes for using his software and
a Pegasus with the RX-320 as a sub RX. The TX IF side is fed
from the antenna outputs of the Pegs through homebrew 20dB
(or so) attenuators. I then set the max VHF band TX power in
Carl's program to provide approximately 20W of 10M TX output.
Through the attenuators it provides me with the ~50-100mW
drive that the transverters require.

Why 20W drive through attenuators?
1. Provides a level of safety for "if" (actually "when") I
accidentally hit the TX with 100w output, the transverters
will only see 6-7dB of overdrive, should be survivable. An
ALC and/or IF TX lower power setting alone approach without
attenuation could allow several watts or more of power to
reach the transverter TX side (usually releases smoke).

2. Increases the S/N ratio of the TX signal feeding the
transverter. With a ALC or lowest possible TX power setting
approach the broadband noise of the Pegasus PA would be
several dB closer to the desired TX IF signal. It seems to be
working because I frequently get unsolicited audio
compliments, especially on 6M.

3. Minimizes the amount of modifying I need to do with the IF
radios for transverter use. I can easily swap out an IF radio
for another without having to dig into them for low level TX
signals. I just need a separate RX input.

All PTT is done via hard keying with the Pegasus keying the
transverters (via an isolation relay) which in turn key the
100-160W SS brick amplifiers (closure to ground PTTs).

I hope that gives you a pretty clear idea of what I'm now
doing. Lately I've been playing around with the Flex-Radio
SDR-1000 and some other boards from Expanded Spectrum Systems
with various degrees of encouraging results that point to
some very intriguing possibilities for future radios that
don't seem to be very far off into the future. Because if I
can't buy what I really want I just may have to build it
myself.

Duane
N9DG