Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Vee Beam?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Vee Beam?
From: "Stuart Rohre" <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 15:46:27 -0600
Jim,
I regularly used 5 watts SSB to win our section and place 4th in class at
Field Day on a Vee beam at our club station in mid 90's.

Respectfully, 100 watts is plenty with a Vee beam, to control the band.

The 100 watt rating comes about because of the need to dissipate some power
in the termination resistors for the back wave direction.  If you do not
want a power restriction, then just omit the resistors, and substitute a
quarter wave stub for the band in use to preserve unidirectional response.

IF you omit the resistors, and leave the legs open, you will have bi
directional response, ie equal gain forward and back.

 For central US, this is desirable in a contest; for you do not have to wait
to rotate a beam.  However, it makes you obnoxiously loud using a kw in the
direction you are not working.

-Stuart
K5KVH