Re: [TenTec] 1.372 stability

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 1.372 stability
From: "Robert Carroll" <rlcarroll@patmedia.net>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:26:17 -0500
In my case I had exactly the opposite experience.  I think my problems were
compounded with RF/noise susceptibility issues when I was using 1.371,
though as far as I can tell my shack is reasonably rf quiet, and the
antennas are far away.  When I "beaded" just about everything going into the
set my problems decreased markedly, and my master resets went from one or
more a day to about one a week.  With 1.372 I can't remember when I have had
to do a master reset, though from time to time I do have the "sounds alive
but it's really dead" receiver syndrome.  This is maybe once a week.
Turning the set off and on has cured this so far.  From my standpoint 1.372
was a big improvement.  In the next week or so I think we will see the next
version, which I am told will address the zombie receiver problem.

I have not found the sweep display on any transceiver very useful for
spotting a weak DX station that has just come on the air, but I have found
them useful for spotting a pileup indicating DX.  On a band like 160m where
the tradition is often not to spot the dx for one reason or another this
feature is useful to me and though not as good on the Orion as on the ICOM
rigs it still alerts me to a pileup.

Bob W2WG