Re: [TenTec] Need some help with a Model 580 Delta

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Need some help with a Model 580 Delta
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 20:27:03 -0800 (PST)
--- Charlie Bright <we0r@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I just received a 580 I bought off ebay and was happy
> to find it receives and transmits fine (even though
> physically it looks quite rough), but it didn't come
> with a manual and I have a couple of questions I hope
> someone can help me with:
>
> First, what does the "ALC - TX ON" control do?.  I
> seems to have a push/pull  operation in addition to
> rotating.

The push/pull simply puts the Radio into TX. The ALC works
like most other older Ten Tec radios. Full clockwise is max
power with the drive control advanced to make the LED just
flicker on voice peaks or just light on CW keydown. Lesser
ALC settings allow for lower power out while maintianing ALC
control, useful for driving lower drive requirement
amplifiers.

> Second, the band switch has some slop in it's
> operation and doesn't really click into a band, but
> can be moved several degrees either way in each band
> position.  Is this normal or is there something I can
> do to correct it?

As described in another response this is most likely a
cracked knob. This is real common problem with the knobs on
the 580 Delta, especially those on detented switches.

> Third, how can I tell if the noise blanker is
> installed?  I think it might be a board on the top
> side, but I'm not really sure.  I don't see any place
> else to install a board, so think it may be there.

Yes the Noise blanker would be installed on the top side
between the 80554 IF amp board (the one with the slot for the
CW filter option) and the 80553 second mixer board (it's
along the right side of the radio when looking at it from the
front) and be directly forward of the PA compartment. It will
likely have a 80755 number on it somewhere as well.

Duane
N9DG