Re: [TenTec] Humor and Questions

To: <glassrus@houston.rr.com>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Humor and Questions
From: "Mark Erbaugh" <mark@microenh.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 11:20:43 -0500
Paul,

> On a final note. I just ordered my Orion. I have been pre-reading the
manual. Are people using and happy with the Panoramic Stereo feature for
zero beating the cw signal when the apparent volume is equal in both ears?
The reason I ask is that I have a significant difference in hearing loss
between both ears. Would it be worthwile for TT to make some sort ob
balance/ equalization control in a future firmware upgrade. Does anyone have
any experience with this problem? I know MFJ makes a device that can do this
externally and has had very good reviews, including in QST in the past.

My understanding of the purpose of the Panoramic Stereo feature is more to
allow one's brain to lock on to and decode a CW signal in the presence of
others. I had never considered it as a tuning aid.  While I'm just getting
into CW, I haven't found PS to be all that useful.  I've been trying to use
the spot tone, but while I am getting better, it still takes me a long time
to find the zero beat (and by then someone else has answered the CQ).  What
I have found to be most useful (although I do consider it cheating) is to
watch the waterfall display on a PSK31 (or similar) program. I'm not
concerned with the computer decoding the CW as I want to do that in my head,
but it is pretty easy to see the signal I'm chasing. I set up a waterfall
marker at the CW offset (sidetone) frequency and just tune till the desired
signal is on the marker.

Mark