Re: [TenTec] Zero beating.

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Zero beating.
From: "Tommy" <aldermant@alltel.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 15:50:39 -0500
This is interesting/funny. I wonder why we get into this 'niggle-fit' to get
exactly zero beat with our QSO partner? I'm very guilty! I use TunWin, set
to my offset frequency, and get smack zero beat with the other guy. Heck, I
even tell him when he is 20Hz off frequency! (mainly talking about my qrq
buddy, Lyle/W9FCX) This makes absolutely no sense, since I then use rcvr RIT
to tune to a sidetone note that I like. Lyle and I run QSO's at about 60 to
70 wpm and use full QSK. Since we are using full QSK, we don't give our call
signs too often and I'm sure Perry is correct that someone else listening,
just can not tell which person is talking. What makes it more difficult is
both Lyle and I are using Omni 6 Plus rigs, which probably sound identical.

The only thing I can say for zero beating is it does put the received signal
'exactly' in the center passband of your filters, providing you can stand to
copy CW at 700hz! Sometimes that does make a difference, especially when you
have to crank in a 250hz filter to eliminate QRN.

Otherwise, how did we get into this habit?

Tommy

W4BQF