[TenTec] My new ORION

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] My new ORION
From: <wq7x@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 12:46:05 -0400
Thanks for quick response. Now I know that distortion of signals of S9+35dB and
above is known issue and hopefully
will be corrected in the new firmware.
I have another problem. With 2 el quad on 40m and having
50 kW AM station 7 miles from my house I'm getting IMD on my ORION on 40 and
80M band. Worst at 7250 ,S9 signal. No IMD on K2 or even TS930s.
40m quad loop looks like almost 1/4 wave for those AM stations with probably
higher impedance than 50 ohms, so the voltage at the antenna could be very
high.Attenuator doesn't improve because is implemented after the two diodes D30
and D31 at the RX antenna input of the Orion. I think that those diodes
rectifying AM signal. This is easy eliminated if I use external LP filter.  No
IMD.
Perhaps TenTec could improve that RX diode protection circuit and maybe this
would improve rather low IP2 of the ORION. Anybody there with the same problem.
Anybody in Phoenix would like to bring his ORION to my house,so we can compare.
Thanks, Mark WQ7X