[TenTec] Orion 1st Year of Use: et al

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion 1st Year of Use: et al
From: Robert & Linda McGraw K4TAX <RMcGraw@Blomand.Net>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 07:18:55 -0500
I believe that the Tentec staff must have a real sour stomach full of some
of the comments made relating to the Orion over the last year or so.  I
commend them for their level headed, focused, straight forward approach to
resolving real issues and discarding conceived issues which do not fall in
the general broad market spectrum of the Orion radio.

As key point,  the radios' functionality and operation parameters are
software based.  The key here is SOFTware.  It is fluid, dynamic, and
changeable. It is a radio that presents itself with a very large potential
for continuing future operational improvements and enhancements.  It is not
limited to certain aspects of nameless other brands, presented with the
mentality of  "this is the way it is, if you don't like it we'll have a new
model in a few months".  I certainly am not, due to budget for my hobby, a
fan of the "radio of the month" idea,  although I do have at my disposal a
rather significant selection of current production radios.

This entire process reminds me of a story told to me many years ago.  It
involves a group of folks assigned to select several new large bronze doors
for their new church building.  They toured the foundry where these doors
were being made.  During the tour, they came across a fellow that was
polishing a new, impressive and very large door.  He was asked the question
"how do you know when you are finished?"  He responded; "oh, I'm never
finished, they just come and take it away".

That's my favorite description of software development.

73
Bob, K4TAX