Re: [TenTec] 7/20/05: Ten-Tec announces ORION II

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 7/20/05: Ten-Tec announces ORION II
From: "Ron Notarius" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:55:38 -0400
Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that once the O2 hits the market,
the value of the O1 will be in the neighborhood of $2000 - $2500; after all,
it is still (arguably) one of the best rigs on the market, if no longer "top
of the line."

Now, let's consider the (unknown) cost of the circuit boards, filters,
screen, and jack that need to be replaced.  Could it be, say, $1000 to
$1500, including labor?  Or am I guessing low here?

Regardless, if you have to spend that much or more to upgrade an O1 to an
O2, you start approaching the point where it makes more sense to sell you O1
to someone willing to pay what it's now worth (see paragraph 1 above) and
invest that money plus the upgrade cost (and maybe a few more bucks,
depending on what the final price is) into a new O2.

Further considering that software upgrades will still be available
indefinitely (right Scott?), the O1 will continue to be a viable rig for
many years to come.

Hardly seems like a dead-end, unlike some of the product upgrades from many
others I could mention.

Yes, it is a bit of a surprise... but really, should it have been?  Hasn't
one of the many gripes with the O1 from almost day one was the lack of a
color screen?  Now we have one.  Wasn't there griping a few months back
about a processor being discontinued?  Sounds like it's been replaced.
Those two factors alone should be a clue that some re-engineering was
required -- to say nothing of additional improvements (ie the filter
situation) that users have requested, or that 3rd parties have stepped in to
fill.  So the lack of a hardware upgrade is unfortunate, but hardly that
surprising, once you think things through.

In short, it sounds like we (the TT user community) have gotten exactly what
we've been asking for; maybe without as much advance notice as we'd have
liked, but still, we got it.  Which is hardly a "screw you" or a blemish on
Ten-Tec's legendary service or support.  So what's the problem here?

73, ron wn3vaw