Re: [TenTec] Simple Radio - No Computer Inside - Or Swappable Computer

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Simple Radio - No Computer Inside - Or Swappable Computer
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 19:25:16 -0700 (PDT)
--- Richard Lee <rol2@verizon.net> wrote:

> I've learned over the years, however, that computer
> hardware (principally
> the processor and its memory) seems to become obsolete (for
> my purposes) in
> about 3-1/2 years. Which leads me to wonder about SDRs:
> even if one gets the
> most-advanced, most-powerful processor available in an SDR
> one purchases, is
> the expected lifetime (before obsolescence) of the
> processor limited to
> several years? I've tentatively concluded that it is not
> feasible to upgrade
> the processor in an SDR. What's the solution?

It's simple. Buy or build radios that are sufficiently
modular such that the pieces that do become quickly obsolete
can be easily changed out and upgraded. And the pieces and
parts that don't really change that much can stay around
through the various HW upgrades.

This approach will work because things like band pass and low
pass filtering, RX preamps and mixers, TX amplifier chains
etc. haven't changed appreciably in 10 or more years. Those
kinds of parts and circuits built back then (or even before)
still perform as well as they always have. And new designs
today of these mature components are minimally different in
terms of performance. However the DSP and ADC parts of some
of those radios built in the early 90's are very obsolete
today. Even those DSP-ish radios from 5 years ago are really
rather obsolete DSP-wise today; their analog circuitry for
the most part is not. A radio designed such that you can
simply swap out those rapidly changing technology pieces and
parts out is a very compelling design approach to take. The
"DSP IF" experiments to a Corsair II that I have done are
essentially a variation of this concept.

Duane
N9DG