Re: [TenTec] Simple Radio - No Computer Inside - Or Swappable Computer

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Simple Radio - No Computer Inside - Or Swappable Computer
From: Duane - N9DG <n9dg@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:49:08 -0700 (PDT)
--- Tommy <aldermant@alltel.net> wrote:

> That's a great idea, but is it really 'simple'?

I think so. The key is putting the modular connection
interfaces of the radio at strategic points in the
signal/control flow path. The SDR-1000 is clearly on the
right track with its design in that regard.

> And would it still be affordable to the average ham?

If you start with mass consumer items such a generic PC's and
mid range sound cards yes. At least that is one approach,
perhaps the most economical one too.

> It would be simple if you could make
> each module completely independent of all other modules.

Yupp, keep the number of interface connections to a minimum.
Also keep the technologically stable component parts on
boards (or even in separate boxes) segregated away from the
highly evolving ones.

> And if you
> could design the modules so that when you replace one, you
> would not require some sort of alignment process.

With a little bit of forethought much of the alignment smarts
can be built in. If you look at most modern radios there is
very little to do in terms of adjustments for the various
tuned circuits. Components in the last 10 years or so have
been quite precise a pretty stable over time. So re-alignment
isn't often necessary.

> Might work but of course it would have to be very carefully
> planned out.

Most definitely, and it just takes a fresh view of the design
problem and what the end goal really is and then figure how
to get there.

Duane
N9DG