Re: [TenTec] Remoting TT auto tuner

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Remoting TT auto tuner
From: "Scott / W4PJ" <w4pj@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 12:09:52 -0400
I have two #10-24 stainless threaded rods going through the concrete block
wall in my shack near the ceiling.  They are insulated on both sides of the
wall with ceramic insulators.  I use the manual version of TT's 2KW tuner
and run 450 ohm ladderline from the balanced output from the tuner straight
up to the feed-thru's and on the outside of the wall I continue the same 450
ohm stuff to whatever antenna I am playing with at the time.  I got one of
those dual knife switches from The Wireman, and mounted it on the wall just
below the feed-thru's so I can disconnect when we get our usual
thunderstorms here in South Florida.

I mostly use it for a full-size 80m loop fed in the lower corner.
[Triangular delta-loop Apex up at 60ft near the top of the tower with a
tribander on top and a 40m rotating dipole 10 ft above that] That antenna is
a monster on 75 and 80.  Nab the DX usually 1st or 2nd call.  Can tune for
any band except 160m, so for 160m I put a SPST n.c. relay to open the loop
at the mid-point.  Then it becomes a folded diploe and will load ok using
the tuner.  I admit it's a very compromised antenna for top band, but works.
Not bad for limited real estate one-tower setup.

Peace
Scott / W4PJ
As Tommy WD4K wrote, I'm the "other" Scott, not the "nice" one.