Re: [TenTec] Low Power Ten-Tec Ant Tuner ???

To: tentec@contesting.com, wb2vuf@qsl.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Low Power Ten-Tec Ant Tuner ???
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 16:03:03 EST

In a message dated 12/4/2005 12:37:09 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
ken.d.brown@verizon.net writes:

A ground  tuner for how much $ ? You
could buy a 500 foot spool of 14 AWG stranded  insulated wire for the
same $ and have a quarter wavelength counterpoise  wire for every band,
with wire left over. No need to retune your ground  when changing bands.

my first ever radio, back in 1978 was a ft 101ee, ( complete with phone
patch) and I had a fan dipole on the roof.  I built myself a set of
counterpoise
wires, 1/4 wave on each band , hooked them to the ground on the  radio, down
the wall out the door and around the fence in the yard.  I  guess the
counterpoise moves the rf floating  in the shack to "out there"  on the other
end. just
remember to tape up the far end as there can be some  incredible voltages
produced there.  I think min worked as I no lonnger go  rf burns from the
Microphone on my lips  ( ouch!!)

I think a ground radial does about the same thing but at the antenna, not  at
the rig..

tom N6AJR