Re: [TenTec] tuner battle?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] tuner battle?
From: "Ellen Rugowski" <ellenjoanne2003@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:07:13 -0600
Hardly,

I'm an apartment dweller, and QRP contester.  I've always had to make do
with compromise antennas, and T-matches.  Even with a roller inductor, I
still occasionally can't get down to 1.5:1 or less for an SWR.  This is
where the radio's autotuner comes into play.  First, I tune for as low of an
SWR as I can get with the T-match.  THEN, I use the radio's autotuner to get
the radio seeing 1.5:1 or less.  BUT, you ahve to use the autotuner after
you're done with the T-match, otherwise, it will most definitely "fight"
with the T-match (you'll wind up tuning with one, and then the other, over
and over again).  It'll be like a dog chasing its tail.  So the T-match does
the basic tuning for the band you're on, and then the autotuner does the
fine tuning, and if you do search & pounce in contests, like I do, the
autotuner will fine tune your SWR for any significant frequency chenges you
make on the band.  But, you have to leave the T-match alone, once you set it
on the band you're operating.

73,
Ellen - AF9J