[TenTec] re Orion speech processor

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] re Orion speech processor
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:03:32 +0000
My RF speech processor is my Centurion : )

<<<The DSP speech processing is indeed RF and is done in software functionally
after the balanced modulator but before the TX equalizer. As a result very
impressive compression is achieved (I see average power jumping from about
150 watts to over 800 watts at higher settings) without any artifacts or
distortion. I measured a deliberate audio overdrive (red LED on constantly)
and found that the junk and intermods you would expect are 60 dB down from
full power output. Truly amazing performance. Nothing even close to this
performance on the market.

Forget any outboard speech compressor. It cannot even come close to the one
built into the Orion II.>>>

And the 800 w. Orion PA sounds pretty impressive too. : )

73
rob / k5uj