[TenTec] Using Inrad 762 (Orion only)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Using Inrad 762 (Orion only)
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:57:59 -0500
W7TEA:

 >If you do not have the 1.8khz filter installed, then you can put the
1khz filter in that slot and the 762 in the 1khz slot.

WB5HAK:

 >if you put the 1k filter in the 1.8 slot and the 762 in the 1k slot,
do you still have to "enable" them in the menu?

         First a few facts:

1.  The Inrad 762 is actually ~640 Hz BW.
2.  The stock TT 1000 is actually ~1070 Hz BW.
3.  The TT 1800 is actually ~1900 Hz in SSB, BUT...
4.  The TT 1800 is actually ~1400 Hz BW in **CW Mode**
(I don't understand why but that's what it is!)

         If you do *NOT* have an 1800, you can move the 1000
to the 1800 slot but need to enable 1.8k in Menu>Filter.
If you do that, remember that the 1000 will be selected
when you set BW to 1800 to 1000, and the 600 will be
selected for BW 990 and below.  If you use Auto Filter,
also remember that setting BW to 1800 on SSB will result
in a bandwidth which will be unusable on SSB.  A simple
alternative is to remember to DISABLE the 1.8k position
when you are operating SSB and want BW's <1800 Hz.

         If you *DO* have the 1800, I recommend simply
removing the 1000 filter.  The reason being that the
1800's actual BW on CW is ~1400 Hz, which is not that
much greater than the 1000's actual 1070 Hz, so you
really don't need the 1000.  Furthermore, if you now
switch to SSB, the 1800 works fine without having to
go into Menu to change anything.  I have an 1800 and I
simply store my stock 1000 in the 500 slot but leave
"500" in the Menu disabled.

         In either case, just remember that the 600 will
switch in when BW is set to 990 or below, and whatever
is in your 1800 slot will be in use when BW is set to
1000 or higher (in Filter>Auto mode).

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV

P.S.  For Orion II, W2VJN told me that he will offer an
Inrad equivalent to the 600 Hz Ten-Tec 2001 and possibly
the 1800 and 300 if there is demand for it.  He did not
mention price but I would expect the filters to be the
same as the Inrad 762 ($80).