Re: [TenTec] OII TX Audio experiment/findings

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OII TX Audio experiment/findings
From: Kc9cdt@aol.com
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 14:43:11 EST
Duane and all,

OK, I just for the first time did some experimenting on the TX audio issue.

I am using two different Mic's.
1) A Heil Goldline GM-5
2) A Heil Classic GL-5
Both have the studio (Wide) element and the HC-5 Narrow (Not the real narrow
DX)

With either Mic in the narrow position, I get lots of drive, have to turn
down the gain, and I seem to get distortion and clicking and high freq.
raspyness.

This is the SAME Mic and the same setting (narrow) I used with Orion before I
got OII.  So I started out here with the same Mic and the same OII settings
as the Orion. Logical as I didn't think they would have changed anything in the
Mic area. I guess they did. I here all this in the Monitor.

OK, next scenario, based on you guys recommendations (Thanks very much), I
switched the Goldline to Wide position (studio). No changes to the settings
that
I used to get a good drive level. The meter barely moves, even if I yell into
the Mic (Yes this is with a dummy load, not on the air, Hi, Hi). I turn up
the gain to full, better but very weak drive. I call Heil to see if there is a
difference in output from the two elements. They say no, send the Mic in we
will fix it free. It's on it's way tomorrow.

OK, Now lets use the new Classic I bought for my vintage setup. It is set for
low Z, so should be fine for OII. Used on the wide position I use Monitor to
play with all the settings. Results:

Settings:
Mic Gain = 40
Roll Off = 100
SP = 4
TX EQ = -7

Sounds pretty good, have only got 1 report, it was weak DX so I didn't even
ask about the audio. It sounds pretty good in the Monitor. I am now looking for
some on the air reports. Without my ALC light working I don't know if my
drive is OK or not, I set it based on sound quality and volume in the Monitor.
Still got to turn the Mon up to 90-100 to really hear (that's been a complaint
for a long time)?

Ok, what I learned is the OII s a completely different radio than Orion!
Didn't expect that.

Also what I learned is there is definitely some things needing fixed: These
things shouldn't happen.

1) If I turn the TX EQ any more treble than -7 I get a DSP like crackle and
distortion
2) If I turn the SP up more than 4 same problem, distortion
3) If I turn the Mic gain too high I don't just get an audio distortion that
I would expect, I get crackle, pop and DSP sounding distortion.

This is with RF at 1 so it should not have anything to do with any RF
feedback, pickup etc.

For now, I think I have some settings that will let me run.
Now I need some on the air feedback of my signal quality.

Maybe some of us should meet on a 20 mtr freq. this afternoon?
Anyone available?

73,
Lee, KC9CDT