Re: [TenTec] Hooking up an Amplifier for the first time...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hooking up an Amplifier for the first time...
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 13:48:54 EST
I use an MFJ 704 gizmo to key my linears. Some of the older amps used 12
volts at 1 amp ( or such) to ground and can harm the keying circuit on the new
rigs,

You know that you "dip the plate and peak the load"  you start on low  power
on the rig and tune the antenna ( that is a good tuner , I have one..) and
then fire up the amp, tune it on low power, ( 10 or 20 watts input) and get it
close in 3 or 4 second bursts,  then bring up the power to where you want  it.

I use a dual cross needle meter so you don't have to push in and set, pull
out and check.  you will find that where the dip and max is is also the max
power out point.  so you can tune for max output and then check the dip and
the
peak.

tune it up for max ( that is when it is resonant) and control the power out
with the input from the transciever.  if you go to max then back down a  tad,
( like 3 watts input for 30 watts out put the tubes will last for  ever.  and
they will never hear it on the other end.

hope this helps  tom N6AJR