Re: [TenTec] The ORION II sure makes me happy

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] The ORION II sure makes me happy
From: RaySoifer@cs.com
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 01:30:24 EST
Ron,

The O2 sure makes me happy too.  I am primarily a CW op, and note that a good
deal of the reflector criticism of the O2 concerns audio issues that are of
little concern to me.  That said, in my day-to-day operation I find the O2's
receiver (with all the optional roofing filters installed) to be significantly
better than my old FT-102 with its 250 Hz Fox-Tango roofing and second-IF
filters.  Look up the test reports on the FT-102 and you'll see that it was
about
as good for CW as anything out there until the 565 Orion came along, and that
was with the stock 500 Hz Yaesu filters.  I don't have a 565 to compare the O2
against, but they're both great rigs.  In particular, I find the O2's DSP NR
to be very helpful, especially on the low bands.

As regular readers of this reflector may recall, I had real problems with my
first O2, which were only solved by TT's sending me a replacement.  Throughout
this process, Paul and his staff in the Service Dept. were as helpful as
could be.  I decided on the O2 after about a year's experience with my Argo V,
and
I'm now the happy owner of both.  No, it's not perfect, and I'll keep
installing upgrades as they are released, but thank you TT for an excellent
product.

73,

Ray W2RS