Re: [TenTec] Hearing disabled CW OP Seeks Special Omni Filter

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hearing disabled CW OP Seeks Special Omni Filter
From: Ed <w3nr@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:29:23 -0400
Peter Hoon wrote:
> Fellows,

> 1) Any chance a list member has one for sale?  Any chance list members know
> where I might get one at this late date?
>
> 2)  Would also like recommendations/advice regarding exactly what filters I
> should buy to get most noise reduction and best performance from the Omni
> VI+ on CW.  For example, should I buy 250 or 500 Hz filters for both the 6.3
> and 9 mHz IFs? Is the 600 Hz roofing filter available from Inrad
> recommended?
>
> http://www.qth.com/inrad/kits.htm#tentec
>
> Is it possible I would actually be happier with 500 Hz filters in the 6.3
> and 9 mHz IFs, since one op said they work a little better with the pass
> band tuning on the Omni VI+ than the 250 Hz filters do?
>
> 3)  If I were able to find the special N4PY "lowered tone" CW filter, what
> other set of CW filters should I buy that are compatible with it?
>
> 4)  In addition to crystal filters, should I invest in the Timewave
> DSP-599zx especially for SSB summertime noise reduction? (As you probably
> know, for hearing disabled, getting rid of as much background noise as
> possible is a priority for both CW and SSB.)
>
> http://www.timewave.com/dsp599zx.html
>
> Generally, my major interest is CW, but I've got to have good SSB
> performance (in the midst of summer QRN) for possible fire emergency work
> with the Red Cross this summer.
>
> Thanks for  ideas and recommendations from any and all.
>
> 73s,
>

> Peter
> VE1CHS (Formerly WA0BAV)
> Nederland, Colorado

Peter, I also suffer from the same type of hearing problem and can
sympathize with you. At times CW just isn't fun anymore, the ear ringing
is about the same pitch and tone as the CW. I selected the 500Hz filter
as the 250 was just too narrow and actually was a detriment to copy. I
bought a MFJ 616 and the difference in copy was amazing. Say what you
want about MFJ, but this item just works. Once adjusted it makes copy
for CW much easier and much less tiring. HTH.....73

Ed W3NR

Debian GNU/Linux