Re: [TenTec] 2.033

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 2.033
From: "Gary Hoffman" <ghoffman@spacetech.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 14:34:15 -0400
Well....you are asking for an opinion...always a dangerous thing !  <grin>

But....

In my opinion, if one could choose, in the case of SSB (which is
comparatively wide band, but highly correlated) the better choice would be
the correlation based filter.  This removes noise Inside the pass band.
Since SSB needs a fairly wide pass band, then band pass based filters tend
to be limited in effectiveness.

For CW the choice is less clear.  CW is narrow band, and highly correlated.
But it is also very rapidly choppy.  So, a narrow pass band filter can do a
very good job.  So can a correlation based filter, but it might have trouble
tracking the very high levels of chop.  Might make a mess of the signal,
depending on how well it is implemented.  So, I might tend to want to choose
a very narrow band pass filter for that case.

I guess I just said I want both....didn't I ?  <grin>

If I could never the less have only one....I'd have to choose the
correlation filter, because I do a lot of SSB work, as well as some wider
digital stuff like RTTY and PSK  (yes, I know those are kinda narrow
compared to SSB, but wider than CW too).

In any case, any radio I would buy would likely have narrow band pass
filters available anyway, so the correlation filter would add the greatest
Incremental value, for me.

YMMV.

Regards,

Gary, AA2IZ