Re: [TenTec] 2.033

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 2.033
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 23:57:07 EDT
I guess I am not up to par on the Orion mystique.

 I turn on my Orion ( original style) using 1.372 and in a contest I  just
push buttons and twist knobs till it works best for me.  I do have  some semi
severe hearing loss and by the end of the day on ssb I have the bw  around 2400
or a bit less, and the pbt at usually just -10 or -20  I set  the tx at 2700
or 2850 and low end roll off at 150 or 160 speech processor at 5  or 6 mic at
30-35 and run it all to the alpha 87a.

I don't consciously  set  the Orion there, but at  the end  of a couple hours
of contesting this is what works.

I do some CW work occasionally  ( I have 1.8k and 500 filters in ) and
usually run the cw end at BW of 300 or 400 and the tone is set at 700.  I  do
some
psk31 and on rtty I set the bw to like 500 and pbt to around 1500.   works for
me.

I suppose I may be doing this all wrong ( I play with the agc, , and set  the
rf gain at 65 or 70 and the audio level up, ) but it works for me.  I  find
that settings like this make the folks in a contest sound like they are all
setting 5 kcs apart and just waiting for me in search and pounce. in a run mode

I open the  ssb BW up a little for hearing folks off frequency a bit.

for dx I do what ever I need to hear them best.  I am amazed that  between
the Orion, alpha and steppir or gap Voyager, depending on band   that I can
work
"esp" dx consistently and with great satisfaction.

so I don't understand how the dsp works ( and really don't care)  I  use the
radio to do what I need.  I have 8 years in the air force in  ecectronic
counter measures, so I know which end of the soldering iron to hold,  but I
only
build now and then and don't feel like studying to play radio, so I  really
just
"use " the radio.

 I don't know if this makes me an appliance operator, ( I have built  heath
kits in the past, like the 2 m HT they used to sell) but the eyes don't  work
so well and the hands shake a bit so SMT is  just difficult and not  fun.

I guess I understand most of what the radio does, and I have 8 other hf
rigs, and probably 9 or 10 ht's and 8 or 9 mobiles, among other assorted  junk.
am enjoying " MY HAM RADIO" experience, and I guess that is all  that really
matters.

( first licensed in 1978 at the fcc office in San Francisco) so I am an
official extra light  eligible for membership in the Quarter century  club..

YMMV

 tom N6AJR